If the world is to become a better place because a new person has been born into it, then you as parents have a large responsibility. However, you are not alone. We, the parish communities of St. Michael and St. Peter, into which you have asked to have your child baptized share that responsibility with you. We take that responsibility seriously, and we want to do everything possible to fulfill our responsibility. But, we need your participation. Without you, we cannot do this. We believe that it is only when people come together in a spirit of love and begin to care for each other that faith really comes alive and to form the Body of Christ. Sharing in the life of this Christian community is what you have asked for your child, and we, St. Peter and St. Michael communities, say "yes" to welcome your child and to accept a new member into our midst. Let us together accept this responsibility for the well-being of this new member.
Qualifications for Godparents (Baptism Sponsors)
- Be designated by the candidate, by the parents or guardians, or the pastor.
- Have the qualifications and intention of performing the role of sponsor.
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Be a fully initiated Catholic (received Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist).
- Lead a life in harmony with the faith and role of a sponsor (i.e., be a member of a parish, attend Mass on Sundays and holy days, not be in an irregular marriage, etc.).
- Not be bound by a canonical penalty.
- Not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.
Our Archdiocese continues the practice of requiring proof of eligibility for sponsorship (in accord with the qualifications above) from the parish in which the sponsor is registered.
The Number of Sponsors
- Only one sponsor is required for baptism.
- If two sponsors are chosen, one must be male and the other female.
- The second sponsor may be a Christian Witness (i.e., a non-Catholic Christian may fulfill this role) but one who is a member of a Christian Church and worships regularly.
In the event that neither the candidate nor the parents or guardians select a sponsor, pastors may appoint a member of the parish community to fill the role of sponsor. Many parents are often concerned that they cannot find a suitable sponsor for a variety of reasons (i.e., unavailability of family members, being new to the area or unfamiliar with parishioners etc.).
- A Baptismal Class is required prior to the Baptism of your first child. Please contact the Brenda Bertsch at [email protected] to schedule this class.
- After completion of the Baptismal Class, you may schedule your child's baptism through the Pastoral Associate, Carla Hertel at 765-647-5462.
For those who are interested in becoming Catholic, Baptism is also part of the Rite of Christian Adult Initiation (RCIA).