God as the Author of Marriage
Sacred Scripture begins with the creation and union of man and woman and ends with the wedding feast of the Lamb (cf. Revelation 19:7, 9). The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament. The love of husband and wife reflects the love between Christ, the eternal Bridegroom, and His Bride, the Church.
Because Holy Matrimony has been raised to the dignity of a sacrament by our Lord Jesus, our parishes take seriously the preparation of couples to receive the sacrament of Matrimony.
Pre-Requisites for Marriage are:
- Parish office should be contacted at least 6 months in advance of anticipated wedding date to make an appointment with the priest.
- Be an active participant in the parish for a least 6 months (e.g. attending Sunday Mass).
- Must be validly baptized and preferably confirmed Roman Catholic.
- If one is not Catholic, the Catholic party will need the proper dispensation from the archbishop through the pastor.
- Must be free of any impediments to marry in the Church.
- Engaged Couple Preparations: Contact the priest at least 6 months in advance for any wedding at St. Michael Church. no dates will be secured until the first meeting with the priest. Please email Fr. Danda, [email protected], or call the parish office to set an appointment at 765-647-5462.
DO NOT SCHEDULE A WEDDING DATE WITHOUT FIRST MEETING WITH THE PRIEST.
"The Lord God said: 'It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suited to him'...That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one body" (Genesis 2:18, 24).